Sunday, July 22, 2007

Suddenly, Sekou

In April, poet and performance artist Sekou Sundiata visited my school to meet with students and perform. He was wonderful...so approachable, thoughtful and passionate about his work. It was the third time I had the chance to see him this year; however this was so special as I also spoke with him personally about his work and shared dinner with him during a pot luck supper. Those people who know me well know that poetry lives inside me, always pulsating right under my skin. So you can only imagine how thrilling this day was for me.

While he corresponded with my colleague as we planned for this event, he would sign every e-mail "Suddenly, Sekou." I always thought it was odd. Could you imagine getting an e-mail from me with a signature like "Outstandingly, Working Mom"? Yet, as I got to know Sekou and his work, the signature started to make sense. He was a poignant man with a very powerful message.

Today I learned that Sekou Sundiata passed away on Wednesday from heart failure. Much too suddenly...at 58 years old. If you wish to pay tribute (even if you've never heard of him) simply by hearing his work, link to Bill Moyers' website and press "click to play." I promise, you will be moved.

No comments: