Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I am Katie Couric

A week or so ago, exciting news came my way. I am getting a "promotion." Well, my job responsibilites are expanding greatly and I will get a raise so I guess that qualifies. The person who was previously fulfilling these responsibilities was promoted, so they are merging my position with hers (classic downsizing, I know). However, the powers that be want to keep this all hush, hush until mid-August. Why? I am not really sure other than it probably will create quite a stir amongst the management team so perhaps the big boss wants to wait until everyone returns from summer for the great unveiling. For now, though, I have been instructed to keep this on the "down-low" until the announcement is made. HA!

I cannot go anywhere at my place of employment without someone asking me about the new job. Everyone knows...and everyone knows it is supposed to be underwraps, but no one seems to care about the awkward position I am put in each time I am asked. My lame responses have included "Hmmm, I am not sure," and "I think they are still considering their options." It's ridiculous. I can only imagine how revealing my facial expressions are! I hate (yet understand) that everyone is looking for the gossip, but it is a bit much. I don't even want to make eye contact with anyone for fear of the inquisition!

I feel like Katie Couric must have felt as she negiotiated her CBS deal. She must have played duck and weave with her colleagues for months! I just hope my ratings are a little better than Katie's - but I wouldn't mind her salary!

No comments: