Monday, July 23, 2007

Project Runway

Every morning my husband or I prepare to wage war with our two year old daughter. The issue? Getting dressed. I have come to dread it. I feel as if I am a corporate lawyer actively negiotating a complex business deal. I don't want to come on too strong because then the opposing side recoils. I don't want to appear desperate because then my competitor feels empowered. I don't want to appear wishy washy because then the talks will drag on forever...and I just don't want the act of putting on a t-shirt to swallow 22 minutes of my day (as it did this morning).

I take almost full responsibility for this situation. As Princess began wanting to make some of her own choices, the well-intended toddler rearing books offered the following suggestion: "Your child has few choices in his/her life, thus tantrums tend to be a product of this lack of control. So allow them to make decisions when you can. Pick two outfits, for example, and let him/her choose which to wear." I took it to heart and informed my husband to do the same.

Everything went well. She was delighted to pick her clothes in the morning and even her pjs at night. We made a fatal mistake, though, when we started letting her sort through her drawers to pick a skirt or socks. All of a sudden, Heidi Klum appeared.

"No, not that t-shirt! I don't like that. I wear this t-shirt!"

"No pants! I want a skirt."

And then yesterday's meltdown...she wore one of her favorite dresses to church in the morning. We ran several errands and carried our peaceful sleeping beauty (still donning her Sunday best) up to her crib for a nap. Later, some family came over for a barbecue. Her 2 year old cousin patiently waited as my husband and I literally had to pull this adorable dress off our screaming daughter so that we could put her into her play clothes (of her choosing by the way).

Someday, perhaps, my daughter will be a famous fashion designer. Perhaps she'll be a tough- as-nails Vogue editor. Perhaps she'll host her own reality TV show on Bravo.

Until then, I just hope I can get her to wear socks that match.

No comments: