Friday, July 27, 2007

Ebay

It's a problem...one I wouldn't normally admit to because I really do hate shopping. But there is something about Ebay. Maybe it's the quest for the great deal, getting that Coach bag for a big discount, or knowing that if a wanted a cottage on the North Carolina coast it is only a "Bid Now" click away. I actually don't purchase that much from Ebay, but I love adding things to my "Watch List." It's entertainment to observe bidding wars for toddler pajamas or (and this is my personal favorite) seeing someone pay more than full price for a tote bag they could easily buy at their department store.

I think this obsession lives in the same corner of my brain that flips through House Beautiful magazines and plans to get that stove, that chaise lounge, or those sheets. I never do, but it is nice to dream. However, every once in awhile, I get involved in an Ebay transaction. Let me tell you, when I do I am in it to win it.

Recently, I got into a bidding war for a Vera Bradley handbag. It's a beauty. I've always wanted this black microfiber "Spectator" bag. Well, maybe not always, but since I saw it in a store a few months ago. So I spot it on Ebay and decide this is my chance. I add the item to my watch list and track it closely, not wanting to bid too soon and blow my chances.
Fast forward to 10 minutes left in the auction, and I am make my first move.

First, I bid just a dollar more than the current price to gauge my opponent's commitment. Outbid. OK, now add another dollar. Outbid again. Grrrrr... The current winning bidder is obviously committed. Seven minutes, forty-six seconds remain in the auction. My heart taps a little quicker against my rib cage. Let's round up to the nearest five. Click to "Bid Now." Yes, "confirm bid" ...c'mon, c'mon. Crap! Outbid.

Four minutes, thirteen seconds. What should I do? Now with shipping the cost is only $4.00 less than retail. But, hey, $4.00 is $4.00, right? Add another two dollars to my high bid...one minute, thirty-two seconds...Click to "Bid Now"...YES CONFIRM BID...UGH! OUTBID. Forty seconds...heart clumps in my chest, blood surges into my fingertips...fine add another dollar to the bid. I've got to have it now. Click...OF COURSE CONFIRM...DON'T YOU SEE I AM RUNNING OUT OF TIME! Deep breath...

"Sorry, the bidding has ended for this item."

Noooooo! How could I lose? Why didn't I go for it all at the beginning? I should have been a high roller. There's got to be another Vera Bradley Black Microfiber Spectator handbag on here somewhere. Search, search, search...

This could be a problem.

No comments: