Thursday, July 19, 2007

Munchkin Monster

We have created a monster - a munchkin monster that is. This spring my husband and I took our princess to swimming class every Saturday morning. After class we'd have a fun family outing to Dunkin Donuts - mom and dad sipping our soothing coffee while our little one nibbled on a glazed cake munchkin. We were happy...then.

Today, my daughter and I attended a music class together. We sang songs, played instruments and stomped our feet. Fun, fun! As we strolled back to the mom mobile, I suggested we stop on the way home to have lunch followed by a munchkin treat. Eagerly, she agreed. What I did not realize was all she heard was "munchkin." I mean, lunch - who cares right?

Well, we pull into the parking lot. Conveniently, a DD resides right next to a pizza place. I get a great parking spot, shut off the car, and turn around to my smiling babe in her car seat.

"OK, we'll have some pizza first, and then we'll go and get our munchkin."

Her brow quickly furrowed, "No Mommy. I want my munchkin."

Assuredly I replied, "We'll go get our munchkin after we eat our lunch. We have to have some lunch first before we have a sweet treat."

You would have thought I said I was abandoning her in the parking lot. Her face turned various shades of magenta, and she screamed, "NO MOMMY. I WANT MUNCHKINS RIGHT NOW!"

So I pulled my discipline tactics from my Supernanny toolkit and said calmly, "Princess, you do not scream at Mommy. You do that again and we will not get munchkins. We will leave and go home. This is your warning."

BA BOOM - the gauntlet was thrown down. With hardly any hesitation, my fuchsia-faced daughter morphed into a munchkin monster and demanded, "MUNCHKIN, RIGHT NOW!"

Car in reverse and we are on our way home. My daughter convulses in the back seat while screaming for a damn doughnut hole, and I am taking deep cleansing breaths. It was a long three minutes to our driveway - followed by a longer fifteen minutes as I attempt to calm her down and prepare her lunch.

The good news - she actually did not turn into the Weed Whacker (see previous post) so maybe yesterday's Supernanny tactic of taking away her most treasured dolls when she hits actually made an impact. It was nice not to get smacked in the nose. Always look on the bright side, you know?

1 comment:

Bookgirl said...

I know when you're in the moment it sucks, but you deserve some mommy cheerleading:
"Way to follow through!"
"Nice consistency!"
"Gooooo, Working Mom!! Spirit fingers!!!!!!"