Monday, August 6, 2007

Our Layers

Disclaimer: Feeling a little "off" for the last few days so this entry is a bit more serious than I usually allow myself to be here. However, there is a great poem at the end so feel free to skip to the bottom for a powerful piece of writing worth printing out! When I get back from vacation next week, I promise, back to my usual lighthearted self!

We are complicated beings. Ones filled with twisted, gnarled emotions, attached to memories, people and losses we should have let go of long ago. There are nights, like this one, when I cannot forgive myself for not being able to do just that. Let go.

The world I have constructed for myself is one that is full of questions, insecurities and fear. I can only recall a handful of times when I have actually just allowed myself to relax, have fun and not "overthink" (my husband's favorite description of me). Those nights are so precious to me because I felt wonderfully alive and free. Many of you who read this blog were probably at most of those events. Let's see...my wedding, a Halloween party at the "famous" NYC apartment (shout out to Super Jeff), a night at Sweet Melissa's (bar in NYC), a dinner party at my house, one night at the "upscale" campus bar for my 22nd birthday, and my senior spring college formal. Strange that they all involve alcohol, but let's not deconstruct that now.

What I do notice, though, is the events do have people in common. So while I search for a hobby that fulfills me, a place that feels comfortable, or a dream that is realized, perhaps I should just spend more time with the people who know me (really know me) and love me anyway. Perhaps I should dedicate less time to climbing a corporate ladder and accumulating materialistic goods. Maybe I should focus on them, on you, on the people who matter to me.

Stanley Kunitz writes "Live in the layers/ not on the litter." It is from one of my favorite poems (see below), and it is a line I repeat to my students time and again when they get caught up in the thorny parts of life. Maybe it is time I listen too.


The Layers

I have walked through many lives,
some of them my own,
and I am not who I was,
though some principle of being
abides, from which I struggle
not to stray.
When I look behind,
as I am compelled to look
before I can gather strength
to proceed on my journey,
I see the milestones dwindling
toward the horizon
and the slow fires trailing
from the abandoned camp-sites,
over which scavenger angels
wheel on heavy wings.
Oh, I have made myself a tribe
out of my true affections,
and my tribe is scattered!
How shall the heart be reconciled
to its feast of losses?
In a rising wind
the manic dust of my friends,
those who fell along the way,
bitterly stings my face.
Yet I turn, I turn,
exulting somewhat,
with my will intact to go
wherever I need to go,
and every stone on the road
precious to me.
In my darkest night,
when the moon was covered
and I roamed through wreckage,
a nimbus-clouded voice
directed me:
"Live in the layers,
not on the litter."
Though I lack the art
to decipher it,
no doubt the next chapter
in my book of transformations
is already written.
I am not done with my changes.

Stanley Kunitz

1 comment:

Finster said...

First of all, this is my first ever blog entry...actually it's my second..I wrote a whole thing out but didn't create an account first so it's gone. Damn those internet blogger account bastards.
Second, thanks for the shout out. Just last night I was looking through some old photos (laughing hard) of the "famous?" NYC apartment and the aforementioned Halloween party.
Third, I think I know where you are coming from. Life is sometimes (especially now) overwhelming. If you don't stop yourself you can live within those questions and insecurities...or you can turn on "Old Christine" and laugh...or better yet "Rules of Engagement"...that show is really very funny.
I don't know everything about life yet...but I do know you have to plan for fun. True, fun and relaxation did come alot easier back in the day, when all it took was 6 hours of hardcore, professional style, drinking followed by 6 hours of a 'Road Rules' marathon. But were we really happy? Were we really fulfilled? Sure, now we have to work at fun a bit harder, but only cause we have so much more to live for.

I know everyone makes fun of me for being the 'party planner'..and you know what I say...good for me...who doesn't like a party.
The irony is you have to work really hard at being relaxed. And having fun is even harder...it takes alot of work to have fun now. But I think it's worth more now than ever before.

It makes me happy to know that some of your happiest memories include me. I truly believe that the best is yet to come...(que music)...we have so much more to live for now. I am always thinking about what's next...almost to a fault (Jen says a I can't enjoy the moment), but that's only because I am so excited for what's next. Life is good ...enjoy it!

BTW - The poem is a bit deep for me, but I get where he's going.