Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Home Sweet Home

Back from the beach! I did get a pretty good tan and some hard earned R & R. Yet I have to admit, it is really good to be home. Not only is it fantastic to sleep in my own queen size bed (a double with the hubby is just too squished), it is great to have my little Princess back as well. "Didn't she go on vacation?" you ask. Of course she did. But when we got to the beach another Princess emerged, one who followed every move her older (by 4 months) cousin made, including all the bad ones. And, the saddest part of all for me, this Princess was not very interested in reading, coloring, swimming or playing with Mommy (the one who carried her for 9 months and endured 12 hours of unmedicated labor only to be subjected to major abdominal surgery). No, unless she fell down or was really tired, she was all about DADDY!

At first this might sound great to some of you moms who spend more time feeling like a human jungle gym with little people dangling from your limbs. It was a nice break for the first day or so. But then I started to really miss her. She wouldn't climb in my lap, bury my feet in the sand or you know, make eye contact. No, Daddy was the go-to guy. When he wasn't around, she had plenty of other admirers from which to choose. Her older cousins, her aunt, uncle, grandma and pop-pop were all at the ready to entertain my little one. Only if none of them were available would she scamper to me looking for some entertainment (or more likely a diaper change...great). My husband kept telling me not to take it personally. She is with me everyday now and is just looking for other playmates. My logical side tells me this statement is true; however my paranoid I'm a bad mom side continued to torment me with "Ha! Ha! She doesn't love you."

On Monday, we arrived home late and tucked a sleeping Princess into her familar bed. Magically, the next morning my Princess awoke, gave me one of her most delicious hugs and all was right in the world.

It is so good to be home.

1 comment:

Bookgirl said...

Vacations are great, but it's so nice to get back to your own lovely life, isn't it? I've always said that if you dread going back, you probably need to reassess the life you're going back to.